Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Ultra Grass Seed
- Fast establishment in newly seeded lawns, and fills in bare spots quickly in thin lawns
- Grows a lush dark-green lawn in full sun to partial shade growing conditions
- Excellent heat and disease resistance as well as drought tolerance
- Once you’ve seen a Black Beauty® Ultra lawn you’ll never forget it!
Jonathan Green Black Beauty® Ultra Grass Seed mixture combines our most elite Black Beauty® tall fescue seed varieties with our best Kentucky bluegrass to fill in bare spots quickly and invigorate worn-out lawns. Black Beauty® Ultra also contains premium perennial ryegrass for fast germination and wear tolerance in lawns that experience heavy traffic. The Black Beauty® Ultra seed grows naturally dark-green turf and is most similar to the Black Beauty® seed mixtures that sod growers purchase from us to grow high-quality sod within one year. This seed germinates in 7-14 days.
For the best results, follow the directions below for establishing a new lawn or overseeding an existing one.
- Mow – Mow the lawn at the lowest mower setting before seeding to allow the seed to reach the soil.
- Rake – Rake over the existing grass with a metal rake to remove the thatch layer and any debris to loosen the soil. Add additional topsoil to fill in holes and level the ground.
- Check soil pH level – Have a soil test taken to check your soil’s pH level. Optimum soil pH should be between 6.2 to 7.0. For a pH below 6.2 use Jonathan Green Mag-I-Cal® Plus for Lawns in Acidic & Hard Soil to rapidly increase pH. If the pH is above 7.0 use Mag-I-Cal® Plus for Lawns in Alkaline & Hard Soil to rapidly decrease the soil pH.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than ¼ of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
We Also Recommend
Cub Cadet XT1 LT50 Enduro Series Riding Mower